EPC FAQ - (Energy Performance Certificate) Facts & Fiction.

Some questions and answers about the EPC.

What you need to know about the EPC. Go toWhat is the EPC page.

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) and the Law. Read the following to find out more.

You may already have an EPC - find out here.

All properties sold or let must have an EPC,

A new requirement to provide an EPC rated D or higher to claim full FIT rate for Solar PV instalations- April 2012.

Your estate agent or solicitor should inform you about the new rules, post the suspension of the HIP.

The requirement to provide the EPC is still law, even if you have avoided the HIP and even if you are selling to a family member or friend, selling privately does not mean you can avoid the EPC.

Take note of this, home owners and landlords from Oct 1st 2008 are responsible for the Energy performance Certificate, you and your estate agent could both end up with a £200 fine.

Look at the EPC news page and EPC resources page.

Update to these laws include the following;

DCLG intends to bring these changes into force on 6 April 2012.

Such as.

The duty to commission an EPC before marketing will be extended to the sale and rent of residential and non-residential buildings;
The current 28 day period within which an EPC is to be secured using ‘reasonable efforts’ will be reduced to 7 days;
if after that 7 day period the EPC has not been secured the relevant person will have a further 21 days in which to do so.

Power to Require the Production of Documents
Trading Standards Officers (TSOs) currently have the power to require the ’relevant person’ (i.e. the seller or landlord) to produce copies of the EPC for inspection and to take copies if necessary. The power to require the production of documents will be extended to include persons acting on behalf of the seller or landlord – e.g. estate agents and letting agents. This means, for example, that TSOs will be authorised to require estate agents to produce evidence showing that an EPC has been commissioned where they are marketing a building without one.

You can still however now market you home without the EPC, but certain rules are in place to make sure that it is available. You or your estate agent must order this document before marketing takes place, there must be a reasonable expectation that the EPC will be available in 28 days.

Don’t be put under pressure by your estate agent to use them to supply the EPC. Simply call a firm such as ours and place an order. We hope we can provide your EPC direct at a lower price and we may be able to provide the EPC even faster. Once the order has been placed we will confirm this with your agent.

The EPC is valid for 10 years, it does not need to be renewed on resale of for new tenants in this time period.

Click on this page
to find out more about the suspension of the HIP and what you need to know about the EPC and the new rules on how you sell or rent your home.

Inspect your Energy (Manchester) provides direct EPCs and will give you as a home seller or landlord the advice you need.

The EPC is now the only document that you need as a home seller or landlord. Find out more here.

Also look at the resources page for documents to read that may help.

Direct help for you, phone 01204 573896. Mob. 07719 363956.

The Energy Performance Certificate EPC will be needed to those that sell or rent under EU law.

The HIP has now been scrapped as of 21 May 2010.

Rented properties will need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). This document will last for 10 years and only needs to be shown to new tenants, you dont need a new EPC every time a new tenant moves in. To find a local DEA contact us. Look at the landlords page.

The Energy Performance Certificate.

What is an EPC?

This page may also help

Download this guide. This will explain the EPC,

More FAQs about the EPC, on the EPC register.

The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC), is part of the Government's commitment to reducing carbon emissions. It looks at how efficiently your home is heated and how it retains that heat. It also assesses the carbon emissions of the property. The EPC assessment, which can take up to an hour depending on the size of the property, can only be conducted by a qualified and licensed Energy Assessor or Home Inspector. The assessor mainly collects data which they then enter into a computer programme back in the office, which works out the rating (A-G) for your property. This is shown on a graph like the ones for fridges.

The EPC also makes some recommendations on improvements that can be made (some cheaply) to improve your rating and save you money on fuel bills.

The New updated EPC (April 2012) will include important details about the Green Deal.

Information about improving the energy efficiency of your home can be found at www.energysavingtrust.org.uk.

Direct GOV EPC site

Back to my Home Page

Top of this page